Friday, May 14, 2021

ARTHTRITIS AND SCIATICA: A Trekker's Struggle

A captivating scenery viewed from Pamolao Ridge of Malaybalay City
 

Dealing with sciatica and arthritis is never easy especially for a trekker like me. It limits my mobility. My joint pain started when I was 24. It respects no age. It was accounted to local occasions and celebrations in Central Mindanao University where I was taking up my masters degree. Meat is at its overabundant state. And when I say meat, I mean PORK. Every household had lechon. Aside from voraciously devouring oily dishes from house to house, I also got to bring back to my dormitory some leftovers. I truly enjoyed carelessly eating unhealthy foods, hence, the prize I get. As of writing, my left wrist and my right ankle are in pain. 


A dramatic scene from Tugisan Falls of Malaybalay City

Gouty arthritis is a lifestyle disease. Its best prevention and cure is moderation in food intake. To avoid joint pains on trail, refrain from food with high URIC ACID content like FRIED FOODS, NUTS, LEGUMES and RED MEAT. Another cause of gouty arthritis is being hardheaded.


A refreshing morning at Mt. Lumpanag in Pangantucan, Bukidnon

My sciatica sprouted after my first fall in 2015 when I slipped on a rock while river trekking from Dumagongdong Falls in Kibalabag, Malaybalay City. I almost fainted after bumping my skinny butt to a solid rock with most of my entire weight. The doctor told me that I was already welcoming backpain to my life. His evil curse was affirmed by my second fall in 2017 in Lulugayan Falls in Calbiga, Samar. I carelessly slipped on a smooth concrete just below the staircase. The exact lower back trauma that happened the past 2 years was repeated, intensified with heavier backpack. 

Early 2018, started my backpain and other nerve pains, which, for sure, I will be bearing in this lifetime. Aside from backpain, sciatica causes muscles cramps, pain and numbness to butt, backlegs and foot areas due to pinched nerves, mainly sciatic nerves which are connected to many other nerves in lower extremities. When mismanaged, this could worsen, causing extreme pain, immobility nerve damage and maybe paralysis. 

 

A cool morning view of Malas River in Malaybalay City

 

HOW I MANAGE TREKKING WITH SCIATICA 

1. I choose dayhike where I can pack light. 

2. I hire a porter when I have to bear heavy load when camping is necessary. 

3. I avoid jumping on waters which can impact my spine. 

4. I avoid slips and bumpy steps. 

5. I avoid bumpy motorcycle ride when other options are available. 

6. I use trekking pole. It reduces stress on legs. 

7. I bring airmat or any soft pad to protect back from heavy surface. 

8. I lean my throbbing foot on my backpack or any stuff during sleeping.

9. I take B complex supplement. Anyone at my age should have it.

10. I bring pain reliever oils or liniment. It serves many purposes.

 

A sunrise at the summit of Mt. Kulago in Impasugong, Bukidnon

Trekking should improve our wellbeing, not to cause us pain. It requires discipline. It also pays to be careful, fellow trekkers. Let us love our body. We are not getting any younger.


Photos show some destinations too beautiful to be missed because of joint and nerve pains.  

No comments:

Post a Comment