Friday, June 4, 2021

LAKE LANAO

My first skinny dipping in a lake is in Lake Lanao in Marawi City. After witnessing the magical sunrise on the lakeshore, my host offered to bring me and my friend from an NGO to a nearby rock islet.

 

 

While in a canoe, I could feel the soothing morning warmth of the water on my dipping hands. Upon reaching the islet, I couldn't resist the tempting still waters on a sunrise to touch my entire skin. I badly needed to take a dip. Since swimming is out of the plan, who expects spare clothes? I was scheduled to leave the city after that short morning stroll and I wouldn't want to bring wet clothes on a long trip. 

The host suggested I can go swimming naked since there are only 3 of us in the islet. I realized Marawi is a very challenging place to visit. With a bit of hesitation, I grabbed the opportunity. 


 

The Philippines' second largest lake located in Lanao del Sur covers around 350 square kilometer surface area and 60 meter average depth. According to sources, its known deepest point is 112 meters deep. It feeds from 4 major rivers and powerfully streams down to Agus River down to Maria Cristina Falls. The lake, which has a deep religious and cultural relevance to Maranaos (people of the lake). Many fishers rely on this lake for livelihood. Locals also throng on the lakeside to wash clothes and take a bath. This has become an important part of their daily living. Gladly, I never saw trash littered along the shore nor floating on the waters of Lake Lanao. 




Marawi is still under clearing operation after the military siege in 2017. Ground Zero is still restricted for visitors due to presence of unexploded bombs and landmines. Some say that Marawi can rise back up in 20 years. 

 

 

 

My visit to Marawi, which happened on December 29-30, 2019, was made possible though the help of my friends from an NGO providing livelihood assistance to Maranao locals affected by the siege in 2017. Marawi is not yet open for tourist visit.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment