Every Filipino wishes to visit this beautiful island. Honestly, I would want to exempt myself from those wishers. It was not really my dream destination. I'm a no beach bummer. I'm not a party goer. Though, I've visited our country's beautiful islands and beaches like Coron, Pan de Azucar, Mindoro, Bucas Grande, Dinagat Islands, Siargao, Samal, Hundred Islands, Britania, Camiguin, Honda Bay, Basilan, Sulu, Tawi-Tawi and many others. I love seascape though I'm not a fan of seawater.
Though I don't dream of visiting Boracay, curiosity, Piso fare plane promo and lack of itinerary led me to this beautiful island. And I never regretted it. Saying I don't like Boracay is a sheer hypocrisy. My unplanned visit is still a fulfillment.
Below are the things I like and Dislike about Boracay:
1. THE BEACH IS FREE FOR ALL
Unlike other private resorts, you can enjoy white sand and clear waters of Boracay for free. Though resorts in beach front are really expensive, the beach itself is for free.
2. RESORTS IN BEACH FRONT OBSERVE PROPER BUFFER
Thanks to the effort of DENR. Resorts invading the waters and natural formations in Boracay were demolished. Resorts are established away from seawater.
3. UNCROWDED ROCKY PARTS OF THE BEACH
If you want silence, you can go strolling or jogging in uncrowded part of the beach. The place is adorned with rocks, cliffs and rich vegetation. Just avoid the stinky part.
4. READILY AVAILABLE BOAT TRANSFERS
Boats from Caticlan port to Cagban port are made available 24 hours.
5. AFFORDABLE PASALUBONG ITEMS
Wide array of souvenir items are reasonably priced in Boracay. There are wide options of beach wears, outdoor gears and handicrafts.
|Photo Credits: https://lifetoreset.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/powder-white-sand-of-boracay-island-panay-philippines/|
6. PRESENCE OF PHARMACIES, GROCERIES AND EATERIES
Boracay is not just a resort. It is an inhabited island with 3 barangays. What you basically need is in Boracay.
7. BUS TERMINAL IS JUST BESIDE JETTY PORT
When you take land trip from Iloilo or Kalibo, buses arrive right beside Caticlan Jetty Port. You no longer need to take other transfers.
|Photo Credits: http://boracaysun.com/boracay-sun-february-2014-2/|
8. CATICLAN AIRPORT IS CLOSE TO JETTY PORT
Caticlan Airport (spanning Malay and Nabas) is just close to Caticlan proper, bus terminal and jetty port.
|Photo Credits: http://polet.me/939/|
9. STATION 3
Station 3 is a place for tight budgeted backpackers. Here you can find cheap lodges and eateries. Fellow broke travelers, don't worry. We won't end up starving and sleeping in the streets in Boracay.
10. THE SUNSET
Boracay sunset is undoubtedly one of the best in the country.
1.OVERPRICED TERMINAL FEE (TO AND FROM)
Going to and from Boracay both require P100.00 terminal fee in Caticlan and Cagban jetty ports. A fee higher than some domestic airports.
2. OVERPRICED VIEWING DECKS
The view is unquestionably stunning but seeing it requires P120.00 entrance fee to viewing decks.
3. OVERPRICED FOODS AND REFRESHMENTS
Many say prices are usually high in touristy places. Buying expensive commodities are not compulsory though.
Boracay is overrated that going there makes you compete with the whole world.
|Photo Credits: http://annaeverywhere.com/boracay/|
5. ALGAE IN SEAWATER
Others say presence of algae evidences ecological balance. I just find it inappropriate in seawater.
6. WILD PARTY DURING NIGHTTIME
For a loner trekker like me, noise and crowd is a big "NO". But if you love parties and sociales, Boracay is the right place for you.
|Photo Credits: https://www.myboracayguide.com/boracay-nightlife/|
1. Caticlan Jetty Port terminal fee = 100
2. Boat fare to Boracay Island= P25 for pump boats and P75 for barges
3. Tricycle fare from Cagban Port to Station 3= P10
4. Single motor to Mt. Luho View Deck= P100 (one way)
5. Entrance Fee to View Decks= P120
6. Cagban Port terminal fee= P100
BUDGET HOTEL FOR BACKPACKER/S
CENA'S GUEST HOUSE
Rates: Fan Room for 2= P750
Aircon Room for 2= P1,500
Dorm Type for 4-6= P375 each
Contact: 09192945927, 09502105668, 09476462883
HOW TO GET THERE:
1. Domestic and international airlines fly directly to Caticlan. Locally, Davao, Cebu, Manila and Clark have direct flights to Caticlan.
2. From Iloilo (Tagbak terminal) or Kalibo, take a bus bound to Caticlan.