Friday, January 3, 2014

TREKKING 2013: MY TOP 25 TREKS IN PHOTOS

My 2013 was not as well trekked as 2012. However, every trek I had was memorable though most were done in my homeland BUKIDNON. Many of my treks were new and still unknown to many. Here are the list of my top 25 trips for 2013.

1. TREKKING MT. DULANG-DULANG (January 2013)

This trek was truly frustrating. The trek was both started and ended under heavy downpour brought by an untimely storm in a dry season. I missed the magnificent view of the mountain's landscape. Dulang-dulang is the second highest peak of the country settles in Mt. Kitanglad Range in Bukidnon.




2. DISCOVERING SAN ANTONIO CAVE (Febryary 2013)

The discovery of this small but real cave amazed me. But it broke my heart seeing the destructive activities by the locals of San Antonio East, Don Carlos, Bukidnon. Many cut stalactites approach the tourists.


3. SEEKING THE HIDDEN TINAGO FALLS

The view of this falls is truly eyesoothing and relaxing. Every visitor is tempted to plunge in its cool waters. Upon first sight, my eyes were glued on its alluring beauty that I slipped on a concrete path causing a trekkers mark engraved on my left foot.

 4. ROADTRIP TO STARDOM IN BUKIDNON

A once in a lifetime opportunity, I, together with Earl and Bon, was tapped by GMA7 to host the summer special episode of KMJS aired last March 24, 2013.


 5. TREKKING MT. PAN DE AZUCAR (March 2013)

A long time dream was finally realized. This small mountain was one of the toughest climbs I had rewarded with an astounding view near the summit.


6. EXPLORING DON SALVADOR BENEDICTO (March 2013)

You might haven't heard of this place. This town in Negros Occidental accidentally captured my heart during my passage from Bacolod on the way to Cebu. This resembles to the highlands of Bukidnon and Cordilleras. A year after, I finally happened to commune with this place as I promised to myself. I trekked to its Malatan-og Falls passing through rice terraces and spent a cold night alone in an uninhabited house.


7. GETTING BLOWN IN CUYO ISLAND (March 2013)

This little eastern island of Palawan caught my curiosity when it was featured in an independent film "Ploning". Serenity best describes the island inhabited by gentle people. It has wide unpopulated beaches, a hill and historic structures.


8. DAYTREKKING GUIMARAS ISLAND (March 2013)

Just 15 minutes from Iloilo City, the island of world's sweetest mango offers a lot of tourist destinations---  beaches, mountains and historical lighthouse.


 9. REVISITING CAMIGUIN ISLAND (April 2013)

I have been to this island a lot of times. My trip was intended for trekking the highest mountain in the island, Mt. Timpoong. After being feasted on by leeches at the mountain, a lot of spots below awaited for my sidetrip.


10. COOLING DOWN AT CEDAR (May 2013)

The Center for Ecological Development and Recreation (CEDAR) in Impalutao, Impasugong, Bukidnon is one of the weekend getaways in the province. It has a vast forest plantation, a swimming pool, camping site, grand rivers and 3 major waterfalls.


11. GETTING SPRINKLED AT ASIK-ASIK FALLS (May 2013)

Everyone wants to get in touch with this wonderful water sprinkles in Dado, Alamada, North Cotabato. The water s sprout from the walls of a moss-covered cliff around 100 meters wide. During my visit, I found the distance TERRIBLE, the road TERRIFYING but the scenery TERRIFIC!

12. SURFING AT SIARGAO ISLAND (June 2013)

The gigantic waves of Surigao del Norte makes Siargao Island a surfing capital. Its rock formations, swamps and beaches are also magnificent. Spending 20 hours in Siargao is too hanging. But having visited the island is already a significant fulfillment for every traveler.



13. FALLING FOR EPOL FALLS (July 2013)

Epol Falls is a shower curtain just 1 kilometer way from the highway of Sitio Epol, Baganihan, Marilog District, Davao City. The series of waterfalls has caverns where you can hide beneath the waters.


14. VISITING THE MISUNDERSTOOD SULU (August 2013)

Feeling helpless, I had a suicidal feeling when I first set my foot on the port of Jolo. Amidst the warning of armed men about the danger I was facing, I was still blessed to have visited the so-called most dangerous part of the archipelago. Patikul, as it is said, is the most dangerous part of Sulu but I found it the most beautiful. My interesting one day tour makes a one day story. To make it short, this trip is so memorable for me. I did not just conquered Sulu, I also understood it. 


15. GETTING A WARM WELCOME FROM BASILAN (August 2013)
 

16. LAKE SEBU BEYOND THE USUAL (September 2013)


17. COMPLETING THE 15-SERIES WATERFALLS IN KITAOTAO (October 2013)


18. ROCKING THE MT. MACULOT ROCKIES (October 2013)


19. CONQUERING THE UNKNOWN IPES PEAK (October 2013)


20. VISITING LALIGAN FALLS (October 2013)


21. STEPPING THE STAIRWAYS TO THE SKY (November 2013)

Kiangan is another exciting town to explore in Ifugao province. I summited its prominent peak and visited its lake and beautiful rice paddies. While in Banaue proper, who could dare to miss the viewpoints?




22. VISITING THE DEAD AT SAGADA (November 2013)

My third time in Sagada seems my first. It always excited me as if i haven't been to it. I again witnessed the Panag-apoy Ritual. Bomod-ok Falls and Kitepan peak added to my list of conquered destinations in this part of the Mountain Province. 



23. ROAMING AROUND SAMAL ISLAND (November 2013)

While Yolanda crushed the Visayas, the sun was so generous in Samal Island. I visited the Bat cave, trekked Puting Bato Peak, basked in a gentle waterfalls and ended the day in a beach.



24. GETTING ENCHANTED IN ANTIQUE (November 2013)

A 2-day trip in Antique is too short to explore its countless wonders.  Since mountain is my first love, I, with no doubt was enslaved by Mt. Igcoron. Clean rivers are also worth dipping in. Bugtong Bato Falls was never spared by my itchy feet. A relaxing kawa hot bath gave me a very good night sleep. My heart just waved goodbye to the tempting beaches and white sands along the highway.


25. UPHILLING THE HINTERLANDS OF IMPASUGONG, BUKIDNON (December 2013)

Visiting these paradises in Bukidnon are a bonus to my job as an extension worker. Giving a loomweaving training to the native women of the hinterlands rewarded me the exploration of these scenic wonders.

Makatang Falls is a multi-tiered waterfalls in a nearby mountain. The falls can be reached through crossing rivers and abaca plantations. Abaca harvesters were met and chatted with along the way. 

Mainggon Falls is a double-tiered waterfalls. Rice terraces capture the eyes of a hiker in the village. No one can resist the mighty crystal river between mountains. 

The place can be reached by crossing 3 mighty rivers. The view from the barangay itself is so astounding. The panoramic view of Mt. Kitanglad unleashes above the lovely ridges. A mountain at the barangay never failed to captivate the trekero spirit in me.


and here's a bonus:

ENDING THE YEAR IN SEAGULL MOUNTAIN RESORT (December 2013)

Spending a year at the cool resort at the Bukidnon and Davao border with the family and loved ones was really a cool yearend treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment